Data Security and Privacy
New York EDUCATION LAW 2-D
New York State Education Law gives you the right to information about how the Washingtonville Central School District is safeguarding student and staff data.
- Read the Bill of Rights (Parents’ Bill of Rights) BELOW.
- Learn more about the vendors we work with and view the supplemental information for each of our vendors click the link found HERE.
- Read the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) HERE.
Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record stored or maintained by the educational agency.
- The District is committed to implementing safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices under state and federal laws protecting the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, including but not limited to encryption, firewalls, and password protection, which must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/student-data-inventory, or by writing to the NYS Education Department, Information & Reporting Services, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. All complaints shall be submitted in writing and will be acknowledged by the data protection officer who will lead the investigation of the complaint. If any necessary precautions are needed they will be enacted at the time of investigation. Complaints will be retained in accordance with NYS Records Retention Law. Complaints should be directed in writing to Joseph Catania, Director of Data Management and Technology/Data Protection Officer at the following address: Washingtonville Central School District, 52 West Main Street, Washingtonville, NY 10992 or via email email@example.com.
- The District will notify parents and eligible students within a reasonable time if the District discovers that student data has been subject to a breach.
- The District has entered into contracts with certain third-party contractors (“TPC”) who have been sent personally identifiable student data as defined in 34 CFR §99.3 and/or personally identifying teacher and/or principal data as defined by Education Law §3012-c(10). The following information about such contractors appears in such supplemental information to this document for each contract with a TPC, as required by law:
- The exclusive purposes for which the student or teacher, or principal data will be used by the TPC, as defined in the contract;
- How the TPC will ensure that its subcontractors or other authorized individuals who will be in receipt of the data will abide by the applicable data privacy and security requirements of the federal and state laws and regulations (e.g., FERPA; Education Law §2-d);
- The duration of the contract that sets forth its expiration date and description of what will be done with the data upon the expiration of the contract (e.g., whether, when, and in what format the data will be returned to the educational agency or destroyed); and
- If and how a parent, student, eligible student, teacher, or principal may challenge the accuracy of the data that is collected.
- Educational agency workers that handle personally identifiable information will receive training on applicable state and federal laws, the educational agency’s policies, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices that protect such information.
- Agreements with TPCs will ensure that the subcontractors, persons, or entities with whom the TPC will share the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements.
- A parent, student, eligible student, teacher, or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected by filing a written request with the Superintendent of Schools, Washingtonville Central School District, 52 West Main Street, Washingtonville, NY 10992. Dr. Larry Washington. Please call 845-497-4000 X27001 for the email address.